OLD FASHIONED WHISKY COCKTAIL
- 1 maraschino cherry, with stem
- 1 thick slice orange peel
- 1 tsp sugar syrup
- 2-3 drops Angostura bitters
- ice cubes, as necessary
- 50ml/2fl oz Scotch or bourbon
A classic Old Fashioned wouldn’t be the same without whiskey—or is it whisky? You might have seen it spelled both ways on a bar menu and thought that it was just a typo, but there is actually a major difference between whiskey and whisky. Let’s get to the bottom of the barrel!
Irish and American products, such as bourbon and rye, are known as whiskey and are spelled with an e. Products produced in Scotland, Canada and Japan are spelled without the e. So choose your poison and the recipe is easy:
- Take the orange peel and squeeze it with your fingers. Rub the peel around the insides of a whisky tumbler, then place into the glass. Add the cherry, sugar syrup and bitters, along with three ice cubes.
- Add half of the scotch or bourbon and stir for about ten seconds. Add more ice and the remaining scotch or bourbon and stir again for 10-15 seconds.